1. Start Focusing on what you will do, instead of what you won't do. If you want to quit smoking then think how you will replace bad habits with good ones, instead of focusing only on the bad habits themselves. Research shows trying to avoid a thought makes it even more active in our mind. The same holds true when it comes to behavior — by trying not to engage in a bad habit, our habits get strengthened rather than broken. if you are trying to gain control of your temper then you should make plan to give three deep breaths to calm down as a replacement for giving those breath to anger.
2. Always Be Specific. While setting goals be specific as far as possible. "Lose 4 Kg" is a measurable goal than "lose some weight," as it gives a clear idea of how success looks like. Knowing exactly goal keeps you driving till you get there. Promise to “eat lesser" or "sleep longer" is not measurable. Always make it precise and clear. "I'll be in bed by 9.30pm on weekdays" it tells exactly clear what you want to do, and whether you did it or not.
3. Decide Time and Date for every goal. Due to busy schedule we miss on doing something even the small things like giving someone a call back or not attended guy or not attended a small function. Now the question you have to ask yourself is do you really don’t have time to hit gym today? Before achieving any goal we need to decide in advance where and when what action is to be taken to achieve the goal. Actually our brain gives us easy reminders if we inform our Brain what is our goal for each activity.
4. Be optimist but realistic. We should be positive thinker and optimistic while setting time lines for our goal however on the same time underestimate the difficult will later on haunt you badly when goal is not achieved. So Be very much Realistic.
5. Be committed to face difficulties also. Being committed makes your mind working side by side and you start thinking what problem and solutions you will have while doing the task. Chances for success are more to those who are committed to face problem also. If you have knowledge of your goals and difficulties but you have not made commitment to yourself to fight the odd, chances are you will lose the track sooner or later.
6. Don't leave it for fate. It’s important to have respect of limitation over your willpower sometime. Successful people know not to make reaching a goal harder than it already is.
7. Review and Calculate the % of Pendency. We need to monitor our progress — If you don't know how we have done till now then we can adjust our brain for next strategy. So we should check our goal on daily, weekly, frequency.
Authored by Roshan Kumar.